Minutes of IFSO Meetings: 2007

2007 Minutes

  1. 18th April 2007
  2. 21st March 20073rd March 2007 - AGM17th January 2007

    Older Minutes

    Minutes of IFSO Meetings: 2006


    (top)

    18th April 2007

    Notes taken by Malcolm Tyrrell

    Present:

    Discussion, topics and suggestions:

    1. Membership fee is taken from a new member, we receive a donation, and we receive payment for two t-shirts.
    2. We discuss our position with regard to IPRED2 (The "criminalisation" directive)
      • Malcolm volunteers to write an IFSO letter to MEPs.
      • Ben volunteers to post or fax it.

    (top)

    21st March 2007

    Notes taken by Malcolm Tyrrell

    Present:

    Discussion, topics and suggestions:

    1. Discussion of differences between GPLv2 and GPLv3
      • Discussion of internal distribution and web distribution
    2. Contrary to our expectations, OOXML has been fast-tracked for ISO standardisation
    3. We should investigate the possibility of getting support for event organisation from FSFE.

    (top)

    3rd March 2007 - 2006 AGM

    Notes taken by David Cathcart

    Present:

    Agenda:

    1. Opening remarks
    2. Voting procedures
    3. Activities in 2006
    4. Treasure's report
    5. Review of constitution
    6. Election of new committee
    7. Talks (time permitting)

    Meeting:

    1. Opening remarks by chairman
      • 4th(3rd) IFSO AGM
      • We have a quorum
      • Thanks to Blacknight for providing website & lists, great support
      • Thanks to ICS for the use of the room for the AGM
    2. Voting Procedures
      • Previous AGM decided on preferendum, never needed to use yet.
    3. Activities in 2006
      • March - FOSS Means Business in Belfast, Brian and Ciaran worked on this. Perens & Stallman spoke. Made lots of contacts. Not wholly organised by IFSO.
      • Hosted visitors during year. Fernanda from FSFLA, Frederico Heinz from FSFLA. Shane Coughlan, now working with FSFE.
      • IFSO had a stand at aKademy 2006 conference. Ciaran gave two talks at this event as well.
      • Paul O'Malley and Brian Brazil produced gNewSense during 2006.
      • IFSO gave Input to NSAI on oxml format in early 2007
    4. Treasurer's report
      • Duplicate statement fee incurred because originals not passed on by previous treasurer.
      • FOSS Means Business was profitable due to T-shirt sales
      • Final balance up on last year.
      • Received no invoice this year about po-box. We understand we are paid up to DEC 2005. Post office keeps saying they'll invoice us but don't. Agreed Glenn will write to them asking for invoice formally
      • Didn't get interest on bank balance Teresa will look into other types of accounts with Ulster Bank.
      • T-shirt stock asset value based on selling to members at 15 euro.
      • Paypal balance still there. Should check out yearly.
      • Commend treasurer for well organised accounts.
      • Accounts were passed unanimously.
    5. Review of constitution
      • Yearly look at subscription fee and quorum for AGM
      • All agree no change to subscription fee or quorum
      • Constitution modification to make it easier to replace committee members who resign. Section 4.1.1., Change 'office' to 'position' or 'office or position'. Because we can't replace committee member with 'office' wording. With 'office' wording can only appoint an external officer. We need 'position' in 4.1.1 to allow appointing of a new committee member without an EGM. Motion carried by all
    6. Election of incoming committee
      • Committee of last 2 years largely present.
      • Some members of committee would prefer not to run again.
      • No nominations received so Glenn renominated all current committee members.
      • Glenn observes that we need more member involvement.
      • Ben notes/offers to take minutes or help out with the duties of a committee officer.
      • Teresa worried she'll not be in country to attend regular meetings.
      • Glenn observes Teresa has done a lot of work on IFSO and accounts and would like her to stay.
      • Only candidates are sitting committee. All candidates elected. Incoming committee congratulated.

    Misc


    (top)

    17th January 2007

    Notes taken by Malcolm Tyrrell

    Present:

    Agenda

    1. IFSO AGM
    2. Open Ireland are hosting a talk by Rishab Ghosh
    3. Congratulations to the GNewSense team
    4. Upcoming FOSS event
    5. OSS 2007 Conference
    6. EU Lobbying
    7. Free Software E-Voting system

    Discussion, topics and suggestions:

    1. IFSO AGM
      • will be held on the 3rd of March
      • Treasurer needs to produce a financial report
      • Chairman needs to produce a report on the year
      • The details need to be circulated
      • We need volunteers to give presentations
      • Nominations for the new committee are needed
    2. Open Ireland are hosting a talk by Rishab Ghosch
    3. Congratulations to the GNewSense team
    4. Upcoming FOSS event
      • There is a plan to host a FOSS Means Business event, following on from last years success in Belfast.
      • We need to have someone to take charge
        • There is commitment from people to help out, but we still need someone to manage the event
        • this is an urgent action item!
        • We suggested 1 Feb as a hard deadline for getting a volunteer
      • Speakers: Who do we get?
      • Paul O'Malley's suggestion (via Glenn) was that it should be a half-day event in the morning with one business speaker and one law speaker
      • Should we charge in? - we might get stronger commitments from attendees if we do
      • Could we delegate or even allow an other organisation to run the event?
      • Alternative plans:
        • run it in the north with a similar team to last year
        • Another a much smaller seminar
    5. OSS 2007 Conference
      • There is an academic conference on Open Source Software in Limerick this summer
      • http://oss2007.dti.unimi.it
      • We should make contact
      • It was noted that Joe Kiniry and Malcolm Tyrrell are on the program committee.
    6. EU Lobbying
      • After his work on GPLv3, Ciarán is returning to work on EU lobbying
      • Intends to inform and motivate local Free Software groups & LUGs
      • We should publicise the recent report commissioned by the EU on FLOSS - Alan talked about the ways innovation is measured
      • New area of focus is IPRED2
        • EU parliament to vote possibly at the end of January
        • Need to lobby Now!
        • It seems that the Music Industry is the problem
        • we should ask Digital Rights Ireland about IPRED2
    7. Free Software E-Voting system
      • Joe Kiniry's team is about to release a GPLed free voting system
      • http://secure.ucd.ie/products/opensource/KOA/
      • Originally a voting system developed in the Netherlands, it has no been reworked.
      • It uses formal methods
      • The question of whether IFSO could support an announcement was raised?